Do deer eat coleus? Let’s learn what type of plant coleus is and the possibility of deer eating or not eating them.
Do deer eat coleus? The coleus is a very beautiful and attractive plant. It is a member of the mint family and is found throughout the world, especially in tropical countries. The coleus can be grown as a ground cover or as a houseplant.
Coleus are perennial plants that are easy to grow from seed or cuttings and are extremely popular in modern garden design. They are very ornamental and attract butterflies, bees, and other beneficial insects, as well as a range of birds.
The coleus is a plant with large, showy flowers that bloom in spring. It’s native to the Americas and can grow up to 30 inches tall.
Coleus are relatively easy to grow for deer, but they do require some maintenance to keep them healthy. You can grow them in a large pot or container and make sure you have good drainage holes. You can plant them directly in the ground, but they will grow more slowly. You can plant them in containers too at the patio, balcony, or outdoors.
Here are important factors to consider when growing coleus
- Plant in a large container with good drainage holes. The container you grow coleus should measure at least twice the height of the plant.
- Use compost that is well-draining and rich in organic matter. The soil in your container should be well-drained, but also slightly moist. Add an appropriate amount of fertilizer to your planting medium.
- Plant in full sun or partial shade. Soil should be well-drained. Coleus can be grown in containers that contain gravel, pebbles, sand, or other materials. Make sure the soil is well-drained. The best soil for growing coleus is a sandy loam mixture with high organic matter content.
- Don’t let the soil get too wet. Watering once a week during the summer months will encourage growth and flowering. Fertilize coleus plants regularly. A good fertilizer is one that has phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. To propagate, separate the plant into clumps by cutting back the top growth. Keep the cuttings moist until they begin to root.
- Add some fertilizer. The coleus plant is best grown in rich, moist soil, but will tolerate most soil types. The soil should be kept moist but not soggy or waterlogged. When the soil is moist, the roots of the coleus plant can absorb moisture and nutrients more easily. A regular feeding schedule is usually needed to keep plants thriving and growing. A good fertilizer for coleus is one that contains phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
- Don’t over-fertilize. Do not use a fertilizer that has been labeled as “quick-acting” or “quick-fertilizing” on your coleus plants. These fertilizers are designed to be applied immediately after planting. While these fertilizers are helpful for very young coleus plants, they do not provide the best long-term results. Remove the spent flowers. Coleus plants are very attractive to butterflies and other pollinating insects. However, when the plant starts to flower, its energy is diverted away from growth, which makes it less likely for it to grow bigger.
- Make sure the roots are exposed to air. The top of the root system should be exposed to the air, which helps with the absorption of nutrients. If the roots are wrapped up in a ball, the plant will not absorb as much water or nutrients. This will also help the plant stay healthy. Water your coleus plants regularly. If you water your coleus plants every two weeks, you will be able to keep them looking great all year long. A general rule of thumb is that the leaves will begin to droop after the first hard frost. The leaves should remain in good condition until the ground thaws again. The best time to harvest your coleus plants is just before they start blooming. The plants will continue to bloom and set fruit for several more months.
Do Deer Eat Coleus?
So do deer eat coleus? Deer are destructive animals that eat almost anything growing in gardens. They will eat everything from grasses, to plants, to shrubs, to trees. They will even eat flowers and quickly demolish vegetable plants. If a deer comes into your garden and has the opportunity to eat Coleus, they will certainly take advantage of it.
Coleus was once termed as deer resistant annuals for shade but not anymore. It’s like deer is not a loyal friend to any of thee plants.
It is best to get rid of Coleus in a timely manner, but if you do not want to get rid of your Coleus, there are some things you can do to keep them from eating your plant. Deer tend to prefer plants with large leaves, so cutting off the leaves will help reduce the number of leaves on which they can browse. You can also cover your plants with a tarp or other cover that will keep deer from eating them.
Keeping Deer Away From Coleus
It is a real challenge to keep deer away not just because they are curious. Deer have a very distinct smell, and coleus is no exception. So to keep deer away from destroying your plants, do the following
- Fencing your garden. If you’re lucky enough to live in an area with lots of native plants, you can put up a fence that keeps deer out. If not, you’ll have to get creative. If you want to grow coleus, you can’t plant coleus next to a fence.
- Use deterrents such as motion-sensitive sprinklers. You can also grow plants that deter deer-like chives and garlic or grow wildflowers that deer don’t eat.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are coleus deer resistant?
Most people believe that coleus is deer resistant, but there is no research to prove that. So to be on the safe side, always keep your plants indoors during the cold months to keep them from deer damage.
Do deer and rabbits eat coleus?
No. Deer and rabbits do not eat coleus. However, when there are no other plants in view, they will eat them to stay alive.
What flowers will deer not eat?
There is no particular flower you can say you will plant because deer do not eat them. If they find nothing else to eat especially in the winter, they will eat even the ones you think they can't in order to stay alive.
Final Thoughts – Do Deer Eat Coleus?
So will deer eat coleus? While deer may be a nuisance to some people, they’re a part of the landscape. If you have a problem with them, look for ways to make your garden deter them. You can also seek professional help if you are not able to keep them away by yourself.
DO deer eat coleus is a subject that is still up for discussion, share with us any tips you may have about this topic.